AstraZeneca Pharmaceutical LP
Waltham, Massachusetts, United States
Certified through 2023
AstraZeneca Waltham is a pharmaceutical company with a location in Waltham, Massachusetts about 20 miles east of Boston and just south of the Cambridge Reservoir. This area consists of 24.7 acres of wetland and waterbodies habitat, where the aim is to exceed the regulatory requirements of buffer zone maintenance set forth by the Massachusetts Wetlands Protection Act, by further enhancing the habitat of native wetland dependent species.
Practices and Impacts
- The project area is a vegetated wetland consisting of 9 habitat zones. Fifty-five plant species have been observed in these zones, over half of which are native.
- The site takes a natural low-disturbance approach. Vernal ponds are undisturbed, low-mow zones incorporated, dead and down timber is left as habitat elements, and public access is confined to trails and boardwalk and certain areas for viewing.
- Employees contribute to the project by monitoring plants, identifying and removing invasives, photomonitoring of wildlife, maintaining an apiary and building bird boxes. In 2021, employees took over 100 photos of wildlife at the site, including mammals, birds, insects, reptiles and amphibians.
- Contractors and community members participate in monitoring and maintenance of infrastructure and ensuring wetland permit compliance.
- A state conservation commission is responsible for both the AstraZeneca site and adjacent wetlands under other owners, enhancing management and habitat connectivity.