Guadalupe Recycling & Disposal Facility
San Jose, California, United States
Certified through 2022
Wild Pig Management
About the Program
Waste Management’s Guadalupe Recycling & Disposal Facility is located in San Jose, California. A mixture of grassland, oak woodland, and chaparral habitat are located on the 411-acre facility. The team actively monitors and manages landscape habitat and invasive species projects.
Practices and Impacts
- The team manages native plants within their landscaping project to increase native plants that provide value to wildlife. The team uses adaptive management from data collected to protect their plants from browsing by deer.
- Volunteers installed 58 plants during a two-day planting event in 2019 to increase the number of native plants around a building onsite.
- Monitoring data is collected on plant bloom time, survival rate to ensure there are plants to provide nectar and food to wildlife year round.
- The team partners with United States Department of Agriculture Wildlife Services (USDA) and Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service (APHIS) to monitor and manage invasive feral pig population.
- Partners from USDA visit the property throughout the year to manage the pig population by trapping and hunting.
DEVELOPMENT OF THE WHC INDEX IS GENEROUSLY SUPPORTED BY