Valles "El Abra" y "Caliza" (México)
Monterrey, Nuevo León, Mexico
Certified through 2023
Programa de Restauración Ambiental Comunitaria
Awareness & Community Engagement
El refugio de los antófilos
About the Program
The CEMEX Planta Valles El Abra" y "Caliza" program is located at the Cemex facility in Nuevo León, Mexico. The company has 2 qualifying projects: a pollinator garden landscape project, and a participatory environmental education program. The program trains young people to be environmental leaders in their communities, evaluates community attitudes and supports restoration projects.
Practices and Impacts
- The small pollinator garden of 50 square meters (0.01 acre) was created in 2019. The garden replaced a space of turf grass.
- Plants were selected to provide nectar and host plants for native pollinators.
- Young people are trained as “environmental promoters” who help teach their communities about habitats and species of the region.
- Students and the employee in charge of the garden monitor the garden and records pollinators observed in the garden monthly. Observations including date, time, species and photo are uploaded to Naturalista.mx, a national database for citizen science.
- Monitoring in 2021 recorded hummingbirds, bees and numerous species of butterflies.
DEVELOPMENT OF THE WHC INDEX IS GENEROUSLY SUPPORTED BY