Merida = Xtepen + Caliza II (Mexico)
Mérida, Yucatán, Mexico
Certified through 2022
Restauración Ambiental Comunitaria
Awareness & Community Engagement
About the Program
The CEMEX Xtepen + Caliza II plant is located in Merida, Mexico. The company has a qualifying environmental education project, a participatory environmental program (PRAC), developed as part of their sustainability practice. The program trains young people to be environmental leaders in their communities, evaluates community attitudes and supports restoration projects. A comprehensive strategy was developed for teaching and evaluating the program effectiveness.
The program was launched in April 2019.
Practices and Impacts
- Young people are trained as “environmental promoters” who help teach their communities about habitats and species of the Yucatan region.
- Environmental Promoters receive training twice a week, lasting 90 min per session, consisting of classroom training with an environmental educator, training with specialists from various disciplines, and restoration projects.
- The program brings together schools, environmental specialists, government, NGO, private sector, and the larger community. Approximately 80 community members and trainees participate 140 hours per year in multiple events.
- Education places a strong emphasis on community awareness and responsibility for the environment. The program evaluates environmental awareness, attitudes, and how these change before and after events.
- Associated habitats are a small pollinator garden and the larger surrounding area on the property. Field activities include collecting data on local flora and fauna. Students upload data to Naturalista, a national conservation database.
DEVELOPMENT OF THE WHC INDEX IS GENEROUSLY SUPPORTED BY